Age groups are per USA Volleyball Age Definitions.
For Both Groups:
- No previous volleyball experience required
- Players are encouraged to attend both tryout days
- Pre-Registration Form will be available for download from our website
- Tryout Fee is TBD
- COVID-19 and variants safety protocols will be followed according to the county health guidelines in place at the time
- If a player is 14 years of age but will be going into 9th grade in the Fall, they may choose to tryout in the 15-18 age group
- We want you to know that when you (the player) try out for Aftershock, we make a commitment to YOU that we will do our very best to place you on a team that is in alignment with your skill level and where you have the best chance to build your skills and achieve your goals, and that by doing so, you will have a more positive experience.
While many clubs are holding their tryouts several months earlier this year due to new rules that allow clubs more flexibility to recruit players earlier, we are choosing not to follow suit because we feel it is in the best interest of the players and families.
In order for this strategy to make sense for the club, we would have to charge a non-refundable deposit to secure the player’s commitment that far in advance of the season’s start date, which is December 1. If we don’t charge a non-refundable deposit, there would be no recourse for us to prevent the player from changing their mind at the last minute and choosing not to play at Aftershock, which would negatively affect the teams.
Instead, by holding our tryouts closer to the season start date, (as we’ve traditionally done) we expect to see players who are ready to commit to playing versus getting their commitment three months in advance during which any number of things could happen to prevent the player from following through with that commitment (i.e. an injury or illness, sudden need to move out of the county, or simply lost interest). It just doesn’t seem advantageous to our players or their families to sign them that far in advance of the season start date.
Therefore, we’ve decided to hold our tryouts pretty much as we always have, with a slight change in that we will hold the older age group at the end of October and the younger age group in mid-October. This way high school players and their families can enjoy the high school season before moving into the club volleyball season.
Every effort will be made to place players on teams appropriate for their skill levels, position, and age. Our mission is to help each player reach their volleyball goals and have a positive experience.
If you are unsure which club you want to play for, below you’ll find some of the reasons we think you should choose Aftershock.
Why choose Aftershock?
Experience and Philosophy
We have been training athletes in the sport of volleyball for over 10 years. Our coaches love volleyball and strive to instill that love for the sport in junior girls by helping them achieve their goals and realize their full potential.
Several of our coaches are or have been head coaches for Sonoma County middle and high schools, and some play or coach at the college level. All have volleyball experience in some form or another.
Our coaches are background-checked and must complete the U.S. Center for SafeSport’s online training. They must also adhere to the Aftershock philosophy of creating a positive environment where we can provide character development, build self-esteem and teach valuable skill sets and good sportsmanship, while providing fun through the game of volleyball. This environment will enrich the players, coaches, and parents by incorporating core values such as work ethic, persistence, discipline, determination, competition, goal setting, and accountability. This vision creates winning players with universal core values who will positively contribute to our community and beyond. When you play volleyball, you become part of a community where everyone is welcome and lifelong friendships are built through play, competition, and fun.
Members of USA Volleyball (USAV) and Northern California Volleyball Association (NCVA)
USA Volleyball (USAV)
Aftershock is governed by USA Volleyball (USAV), which is recognized as the national governing body of volleyball in the United States by the Fédération Internationale de Volleyball and the United States Olympic Committee for the disciplines of beach volleyball, indoor volleyball, and sitting volleyball in the United States.
USA Volleyball is responsible for selecting and supporting US national teams that compete in FIVB-sanctioned international volleyball and beach volleyball competitions such as the Olympic Summer Games. USA Volleyball is also charged with fostering the development of the sport of volleyball within the United States through involvement with its forty Regional Volleyball Associations.
College scholarships and Olympic dreams begin with USAV and their Regions, which have over 368,000 registered members, over 12,000 teams and 5,000 clubs nationwide. This translates into more and higher quality competition opportunities!
Northern California Volleyball Association (NCVA)
NCVA is the non-profit organization that serves the region in which Aftershock Volleyball Club operates, and includes all of Northern California and Northern Nevada. NCVA has over 1400 teams and 400 clubs throughout the region and is the fourth largest region of the USAV offering many levels of league and multi-day tournament options. These high-level tournaments award bids to the USAV National Championships, the pinnacle of play in the United States for junior athletes.
As members of USAV/NCVA, our players and parents receive the benefit of:
- Well organized and high-quality USAV sanctioned competition opportunities.
- Access to multiple resources that support and enhance the parents’ and players’ experience. This includes information on safe sports practices, nutrition, sportsmanship, codes of conduct, and more.
- Assistance with hotel reservations for multi-day tournaments. (NCVA)
- Assurance that all Aftershock coaches and staff are background checked and coaches must complete minimum coaching education requirements through the USAV Coaching Accreditation Program (CAP). Our coaches may also advance their coaching skills through CAP modules taught by highly qualified coaches.
- Comprehensive insurance package included in registration fees which covers sports accidents.
- Parent outreach programming to better educate the entire family unit on the sport of volleyball and the impact USAV can provide to the athlete.
- Knowing that NCVA meets USAV criteria for volleyball rules standards and competition facilities standards.
- High-quality referees and scorekeepers who must undergo certification training. USAV/NCVA are the ONLY training organization with a program for officials in the sport of club volleyball.
- Access to “Best Practices” and “How to” instructions designed for players, club directors, coaches, officials, and parents for all levels of involvement.
As with all things, you may find other options for volleyball, but nothing compares to the experience you will receive being involved with USAV/NCVA.
We encourage you to compare USAV/NCVA to all other volleyball organizations and we are confident you’ll find that the best choice for a volleyball organization will be with the USAV/NCVA.
When you choose to be a member of Aftershock Volleyball Club you are also choosing to be a member of USAV/NCVA. We think this is the best choice for the majority of volleyball players.